What You Need To Build Your Direct Channel
Now that you know how important your direct channel is to your business. Here’s a look at what you’ll need to get your vacation rental website off the ground.
Defining a brand gives direction to your marketing efforts
If your short-term rentals have been in business for a while, you likely have a good sense of your target market — the specific group of travelers that is most likely to book your property.
Knowing your ideal guest helps you define your brand — the qualities that will make people search for your business — which, in turn, helps you make better-informed decisions about your brand’s image. That image includes details such as your:
- Domain name
- Color scheme
- Overall design package that will help people identify and remember your vacation rental
Must-have info about your short-term properties
Your direct channel is a blank slate for creative marketing ideas. But you need to start with the basic information prospective guests expect to find. That includes:
A great description. An effective property description captures the imagination and highlights key features in a way that’s easy to read and gets right to the point.
A detailed list of features and amenities. From laundry facilities and bedding, to WiFi and workspace - details are what help set guest expectations. Make a special section to list the property’s most desirable amenities. (Need ideas? Check out this list from HomeAway.)
Clear pricing. Clearly outline the overnight rates - including seasonal differences — as well as any additional charges such as a deposit, cleaning fees, and taxes. List any costs that might be associated with on-site amenities or optional services.
A way to book your rental. Make it easy for someone to see an up-to-date vacation rental calendar and book through your website. At the very least, embed a booking form into your site to ensure inquiries include the essential information you need to confirm the reservation.
Your contact information. Have an easy-to-locate contact form on your site and list your contact information throughout the site. Publishing it in the footer of your website is a standard way to help ensure it’s easy to find.
Your business's bio. Renters want to know who they are renting from. Share why your team is passionate about the vacation rental industry, how many properties you manage, any business accreditations, and the number of years you’ve been operating.
Local recommendations. It’s likely that many of your guests will be visiting the area for the first time. Make trip planning easier for them by providing a local guide to highlight restaurants, activities, service providers, and other recommendations.
Make the most of your online marketing efforts
Getting traffic to your direct channel can include all kinds of marketing tactics. Get more bang for your buck by polishing your efforts and integrating them into your website. Here are a few ideas:
- Use high-quality photographs captured by a professional photographer, ensuring your property will be seen in its best light. Then use these photos everywhere you have a presence, from your website, to Instagram and Facebook.
- Include links to any social media accounts on your site and look at ways to leverage your social media content within your domain. Embedding Instagram photos, for example, can be a great way to expand your reach and connect channels.
- When sharing content from your site on social media, add referral codes to the URL so you can better track where your post has been shared and seen.
- Use video marketing to engage potential guests and show off the location, amenities, and what they can expect.
- Take advantage of videos that are already available, such as promotional videos from your local travel authority or even videos from past guests.
Keep your website simple and informative
As you create your direct channel, remember that your goal is to give renters the high-level information they need when deciding to book your property. And consider a website builder and channel manager like MyVR!
We host and empower you to build a mobile friendly and SEO-optimized direct channel in minutes, making it easy to expand your marketing to dozens of listing sites such as Airbnb, HomeAway, Booking.com and TripAdvisor.
Need some inspiration? Check out some direct channels that have been built with MyVR:
Ready to get started? Check out this vacation rental website checklist to help keep your efforts on track.