If you’re familiar with the Airbnb landscape, you’ve likely come across some property listings with an “Airbnb Plus” icon next to them. How are these properties different from others? And how can you add this icon to your properties?
Airbnb Plus listings have been verified by Airbnb for comfort, style and quality. Airbnb announced this program in 2018 in an effort to showcase listings that consistently provide a level of service closer to that of a hotel.
According to Airbnb, “All Airbnb Plus homes are visited in person to ensure comfort, consistency, and design. They are checked for 100+ things that guests told us they love, from must-have amenities to the art on the walls.”
How can you qualify for this feature? And what does earning this badge mean for your business?
There are a number of things you must do to qualify your listing for the Airbnb Plus program:
- Maintain an average overall score of 4.8+ for one year
- Have no canceled reservations for one year
- Ensure your space is designed in a way that showcases the unit’s unique personality and style
- Provide amenities galore: including coffee, quality bedding, art, reliable Wifi and more
- Maintain a spotless, clutter-free property
These requirements to be eligible for Airbnb Plus sound similar to those needed to become an Airbnb Superhost, but the difference is to qualify as a Superhost the focus is on hospitality and guest experience, whereas Airbnb Plus is about the physical space itself.
What types of amenities do you need to offer?
To reach Airbnb Plus status, each property must offer each of the following amenities:
- Extra paper towels, toilet paper, garbage bags, tissue - Airbnb Plus hosts are expected to provide ample extras of the necessities
- Basic ingredients for cooking and meal preparation are expected, including things like quality olive oils, pepper, salt, sugar, spices and fresh garlic
- Welcome gifts like local treats or fresh cut flowers are expected
- Access to Netflix, video games, vinyl records and other ideas that enhance the guest experience through entertainment
It is also expected that Airbnb Plus hosts keep their homes exceptionally clean and in perfect working order. All appliances, barbeques, hot tubs and pools must be well-maintained. There must be enough place settings for every guest as well as quality linens and towels.
Airbnb Plus hosts take extra care in the cleanliness and conditions of their properties.
Benefits of Airbnb Plus
As an Airbnb Plus member, you will receive higher search rankings on Airbnb, the coveted Airbnb Plus badge that will attract more attention to you listing, and you will have higher earning potential due to the added audience that is seeing and filtering for rentals like yours.
During your home visit, a professional photographer will shoot your property, and you’ll be given advice on how to write your listing descriptions and fine-tune your interior design.
Airbnb Plus application fee and caveats
There is a one-time, non-refundable fee of $149 per listing to upgrade to Airbnb Plus. This fee includes the report you will receive after your home visit which will provide you with a list of impediments that need to be amended - if any - for you to attain Plus status.
It should also be noted that if you are hoping to gain Airbnb Plus status, you are not allowed to list your property on any other booking channel. Meaning, if Airbnb is only one part of your channel management strategy - as it is for many property managers - achieving Plus status may not be for you.