For the tenth day of MyVR Marketing Tips, give some love to the millions of Pinterest addicts and build up your Pinterest profile. Don’t have a profile yet? These five steps will get you started.
If you have little idea what Pinterest is, you’re not alone: Its rise in popularity has been relatively quick and recent. Launched in early 2010 as an invite-only beta site, Pinterest officially opened to the public this past August; in September, it was labelled the 4th largest drive of web traffic worldwide.
Pinterest is an image-based social network; if you don’t have great photos, you probably won’t get very far. However, interesting and helpful photos can be shared rapidly; just another great reason to invest in high-quality photography!
Your Pinterest account is like a simplified, visual version of your website; show people enough photos to peak their interest, and make sure you highlight the good stuff.
You can also simply create a single board on your personal account, but this will limit your ability to easily use Pinterest as an information resource for your property.
Creating an account with different Pinterest boards allows you to group types of information together. Some themes you may want to consider include:
- Your vacation rental. Photos of your home and property.
- Local attractions. Share images that connect people to relevant websites.
- What to bring. Share photos of things people will want to have in their suitcase.
- Recipes. A fun thing to share are recipes and cooking tips for local dishes and drinks.
- Recommended reading. Provide a few book recommendations that are either relevant to your environment (i.e. tropical getaways), or of local interest.
What does a Pinterest account look like as you start to pull images together? Here are a few examples:
- Kauai Vacation Home Rental is an account dedicated to one home.
- The Desert Mansion is a board featuring one home from a Palm Springs property management company.
photo credit: Marc Ben Fatma
Subscribe to MyVR Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox